The very thought of trying to lose weight can seem like an impossible task. The hardest thing about it is our mindset. Once we set our mind to achieve our goals, and set forth a plan, we can realize them.
We can lose weight by cutting calories and portions, but the best prescription for success is to combine our food plan with regular exercise.
To lose one pound of weight, you must decrease your current calorie intake by 500 calories per day (a coke and a snickers bar), or increase your activity to burn an additional 500 calories per day. Why not do both to achieve your goal weight in half the time! You will burn approximately 10-15 calories per minute during intense exercise.
This sounds easy, and it is, if you remember these tips:
* Set realistic and acheivable goals for yourself. Have short-term goals and long -term goals. Break those goals down into steps. For example, keep a log of all your activity and a food diary. Write your daily and weekly goals down and check them off as you achieve them.
* Recognize the difference between realhunger and mistaken hunger. Avoid eating just for something to do. or out of habit. THINK about each food that you are about to eat. Are you really hungry? Go for a walk, or do something else you enjoy instead of chowing down.
* At times when you don’t do so well on your plan, DON’T GIVE UP! You will do better the next day. Everyone backslides. Old habits take time to change.
* Be patient with yourself while you are learning new things, such as how to do step aerobics or building up endurance on the treadmill.
* Be accountable to someone else for your activites and food intake for each day. Having someone to report to will keep you focused and will help you to adhere to your plan.
* Make time every day to do something that you enjoy. Take care of your emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual self.
* Look at how far you have come, not how far you have to go. I like to see those pounds lost add up.
* Give yourself a pat on the back, and a reward (not food) for each goal that you accomplish.
You can do this! I know you can.